Liquid-cooled search resultsGoogle has a newly-issued patent for dual-sided liquid-cooled motherboards. Are they ramping up density instead of building new data centers?
Here’s the basic idea:
- The mobo has the hot components on 1 side and the less hot on the other.
- The liquid cooling unit is sandwiched between 2 mobos.
- Disks are on the outside of the sandwich, as is the DRAM.
- Fans are mounted on the outside to air cool the external low thermal load components.
- The hot stuff is next to the cold stuff.
The round holes in this side view are for the liquid coolant.
The patent was filed in December 2006.